Ever wonder why auto insurance commercials dominate our airwaves? Television is littered with commercials for GEICO, Nationwide, State Farm, Progressive and so many others. When I see this all I can think about is how much money they must be making in order to afford these commercials. Once most of us have a policy, we don’t shop. And if we don’t make a claim the money continues to pour in to the auto insurer’s coffer. And they have to continue to compete, so they keep sponsoring football games and TV shows. I’d rather they charge us less! Alas, that’s not happening. Instead, let’s be smarter.
Here’s some things they won’t tell you.
- They don’t want to talk to you. Talking costs too much.
- If you are economically challenged (have bad credit), or unemployed good luck getting a decent company to work with you.
- Uninsured today? Your auto insurance options decrease significantly.
- Many insurers will drop you after you make a claim. Make sure it’s worth it and check on the insurer’s reviews.
- Most insurers want the gold standard customer: two cars, home, married, and 35+ years of age.
There are companies that will work with “non-standard” customers but they typically have worse ratings and more complaints from consumers, so choose wisely.
Standard Auto Insurers:
These auto insurers are looking for the best prospects. Those without financial issues, incidents and people that have steady jobs.
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- Met Life
These insurers will write standard and non-standard drivers:
Lastly, these auto insurance companies will write your policy even if you are not a standard or preferred customer.
- Safe Auto
- Kemper Insurance
- Hallmark Insurance
Good luck out there.